Monday, January 28, 2008

"Defeat the Winter Doldrums" Topic 2

This week's topic:

There are many people who ADORE receiving hand-knit or crochet items; but there are just as many who have no appreciation whatever of how much love, work, and time goes into a hand-made item. Share a story of a hand-made gift you gave to someone and how it worked out - good, bad, or ugly!


I did up some handmade soaps and facecloths for my nephews 3 teachers for Christmas. They got 2 facecloths, several soaps, sea salts and one ornament. Did the whole gift basket with tool and ribbons for each teacher. After doing these I got an email from his principal wanting more. Saying the the gifts where great and she want one. So of course i made some several more for her and family. She LOVED the all. I got paid well for them. All in all it turned out great. I got several thank you cards and emails. It made me feel fantastic that so many people love hand made things.


My mom loves things I make for her. I made her a Sweater this year for Christmas. She loved it. It was my first sweater ever to knit. She brags about it to everyone.


I have seen someone mock a hand made item once and only once. I made my aunt a shawl one year. it had a few mistakes in it. you couldn't tell really. I hid it well. It was really beautiful, My aunt LOVED it!! She had it on one Sunday at church. I was there visiting. One of the older ladies asked about it. then con tune to carry a conversation about it behind us with another member of the church. they where saying how cheep of us to have handmade garments. What we are poor. I was so mad!!! I turned around and told those ladies that i am imbaresd. you have the nerve to say that in church. I made that with love for my aunt. So if you two ladies dont mind removing those hand knit sweaters and leave us alone. I left at that. This church my family have been going for decades! I am a guest when i go. I live in TX and there in NC. How rude.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously the church ladies were ugly because they were so JEALOUS of the handknit work they were secretly admiring!!! People can be so thoughtless sometimes!!

Sounds like you could have a "bath/pampering" business on the side!!!!

Your Winter Doldrums Pal

Gina said...

Hey! I agree with you totally! To be talking crap like that behind your back and then in a church too! What a bunch of losers. I'm glad you told them off. And I also agree with your Dishcloth Pal, they were probably jealous that they have nobody to knit or crochet them items.

Keep on being creative!

Anonymous said...

O.K. I had problems with my "anonymous" em account so I will be leaving you "teasers" through posting on this blog....I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to computers!! LOL!!

BUT....just wanted to let you know that one item is on it's way to me.....I think you will like it!!!!!!! Hmmm....now when does this swap end?????

Jane Doe Jenn said...

I agree. Those ladies must have been jealous, or have such a limited social life that they can't think of anything better to do. They certainly werent' being a welcoming example of what kindness a church has to offer its guests. Handmade items are so much nicer than machine ones.

I would love to see a picture of one of your pampering kits that you made. Sounds lovely!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh...it is here...it is so cute...this is what I ordered from an Etsy vendor for one of your gifts for the swap...I think you are REALLY going to like it....now....got to decide on a few more things!! I have so much fun shopping for you!!

Your Winter Dolrums swap pal!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy International Pajama Day!!!

You DID know it is Pajama Day didn't you???? Isn't it great to have an excuse to stay in your Jammies all day????

Winter Doldrums Secret Pal!!

Anonymous said...

Just checking in with you this week!!! Hope all is well in your part of the U.S.!!!

The 25th is looming on the horizon...hmmm....I better start on your "warshrag"......and locating a box to put all your goodies in!!!

Winter Doldrum Swap Pal

Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!!

Your Winter Doldrums Secret Pal!!!

Anonymous said...

O.K.....we are down to the wire.....I'll be putting a pkg. in the mail to you by Saturday!!

I have had so much fun with this swap and enjoyed shopping for you!!

I hope you enjoy your pkg!!!

Your Winter Doldrums Secret Pal

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo....just picked up the last little gifts for your Winter Doldrums Package!!! I will be mailing first thing Monday morning!!!!

I hope you enjoy!!!!

Your Winter Doldrums Swap Mate!!!

Anonymous said...

I just got back from the post office, mailed out your package!! I hope you like everything!!

You Winter Doldrums Swap Mate!!